Seeking Headphone Recommendations for Yamaha SX900

Started by fantasyvn, July 27, 2024, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantasyvn

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying the sound of the Yamaha SX900, but I've noticed that my current headphones aren't quite capturing the full range and quality of the sound. I'm looking for recommendations on which headphones would best complement the SX900, allowing me to fully experience its sound. There are so many options out there, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Rick D.

Divemaster

I use Roland RH5 Headphones, very comfortable and perfectly adequate.

YOUR hearing will play a big part in what you choose, and why choosing headphones is very subjective. What suits one person might not suit another, using the exact same keyboard.

Expensive headphones can run into many hundreds of pounds, so unless you've got VERY deep pockets, and want studio quality sound, you may struggle to find 'perfect' headphones.
Try reading some HiFi sites online to get ideas. Some of those guys spend thousands on equipment.

No Yamaha keyboards at present.
Korg Pa5X /61 Arranger /Workstation
Korg PAAS Mk2 Keyboard Speaker Amp system
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner
Roland RH-5 Monitor Headphones

RayClem

It would have been helpful had you indicated which headphones you are currently using, what you specific application is (studio vs stage) and what your price range might be.

If you are playing on stage, you need closed back phones to block out the sounds of other players or the audience. If you are using them in the studio, then open back headphones might work.

Headphones are priced from $10 to $5000. That is why your budget would be helpful.

I use three sets of headphones.

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones are closed back with 32 db of noise isolation. The rated frequency response is 8 Hz - 25 KHz. The price is $99.

I have a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2HR headphones. They are open back headphones at 30 ohms. The rated frequency response is 5Hz-40kHz. The price is $150. I primarily use them for music listening, but they would work well with the keyboard in a studio environment.

I have a pair of AKG Pro K702 headphones. These are 62 ohm open-back headphones with a rated frequency response of 10 Hz- 39.9 kHz, so they are similar to the Phillips phones in response. These are the phones I use with my keyboards when not using the studio speakers.

Either of these phones should allow you to experience the full range of your SX900. Remember that higher frequency hearing diminishes with age. At my advanced age, I am unable to hear any frequencies above 10K. Thus, I cannot hear the top octave of overtones.

If you purchase noise-cancelling headphones, be aware that the NC circuits will affect the frequency response. If the noise cancelling feature is not required, turn it off for accurate listening.

mikf

Other people can tell you what they use, and what they like. But sound perception, and comfort - not to mention budget and appearance - are such a personal choice that you have little option but to try some for yourself.
My personal experience is that even the most mediocre set of headphones typically sound better than almost any speakers, so when you say that your current headphones are not capturing quality and range what is your comparison base?
Mike

MarkF_48

Take note of the recommendations here and try to go to a music shop that sells a good variety of headphones. Importantly you'll want a set that are comfortable to wear for the time you'll be using them and what may be comfortable one person here may not be comfortable for you.  As mentioned the sound of headphones can be subjective and another good reason to actually try some out.

What I typically have and use.....
Sennheiser HD280's
Audio Technica ATH-M50X'
Sony MDR-7506's
AKG K240 Studio's